Wednesday, March 26, 2008

With the time it takes my to style my own hair, I swear I could have earned a hair stylist license by now. It must be those Kowalchuk genes, I know Meliss and Rach, Jaima, Em, just to name a few, all suffer with headaches, broken pony tail holders, and the vast array of complexities that come from having such thick tresses. I mean, do the celebrities do their own hair? I almost want to just hire this task out to someone else. It’s not so bad drying my locks once or twice, but week in and week out, the same routine … Sometimes I wish I could just shave it off, and join the club with Dad.

I’ve narrowed it down to just three steps- and the results are satisfying. First I section off and dry each piece, then I straighten it with the handy straightener Mom got me, then I part it and go! What a piece of work, though… each time I do my hair I pull out my blow-dryer, brushes, and other equipment, and set to work. Each piece must be meticulously dried, each section chosen by parting it carefully with a comb. If I section off too big of a chunk of hair, it won't dry, and if I section off too little of a piece of hair, it flies away when the blowdryer gets close. This could take years to coordinate and master! I need to take a break sometimes in the midst of the process, and lose myself in a good book or just let my arms go down and sit at my desk. I wonder if it would be socially acceptable to just walk around with really bushy, nasty hair, like the piece here.





it certainly is satisfying, though, the times when the moon is aligned right and things work out. one time i called meliss and was like, 'hey, my hair looks awesome!'

4 comments:

2x2momma said...

I think I'm safe in saying that yes... celebrities hire someone to do their hair. I know Jaim loved it when she could get her hair styled every week. I like it too!!

LiNds said...

yea, it's so much easier! it's nice to get pampered in some way once in a while, too! hmm...

Eileen Young said...

The Kowalchuk inheritance is only 1/2 - the other is the Young side.
When I met Grandpa I couldn't believe anyone could carry such an amount of red-curly hair - it was similar to the aborigines in some far away continent - & I won't mention which. Enjoy your tresses now - wait till you're 80 & you will lament how thin it 'll be!!
Love
Grannie

Coleen said...

You've alwasy been good with hair Linds- remember the days when you wanted to be a stylist when you grew up? Well I guess that's happened! By the way, your hair always looks great! Love Mom