Friday, January 7, 2011

The Sabbath Was Made For Man

I love this response from the Lord when questioned about the activities of his disciples on the Sabbath day. It is a prime example of the paradigm shift the Lord advocated. For the Lord, the commandments were a source of peace and a path to freedom. He advocated elevating our devotion from merely abstaining from certain activities to actively engaging in good works. President Kimball speaks to this elevation of Sabbath observance:

"The Sabbath is a holy day in which to do worthy and holy things. Abstinence from work and recreation is important but insufficient. The Sabbath calls for constructive thoughts and acts, and if one merely lounges about doing nothing on the Sabbath, he is breaking it. To observe it, one will be on his knees in prayer, preparing lessons, studying the gospel, meditating, visiting the ill and distressed, sleeping, reading wholesome material, and attending all the meetings of that day to which he is expected. To fail to do these proper things is a transgression on the omission side." (The Miracle of Forgiveness, Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1969, pp. 96–97.)

I felt guilty when I first read this (as I do when I read much of President Kimball's writings), but what a great statement. There is so much we can be doing to reenergize our bodies and spirits on the Sabbath day. I hope we can all enjoy this coming Sunday!

4 comments:

C.J. Schneider said...

'a source of peace and a path to freedom' - this is so true.

LiNds said...

I really enjoyed this verse in Mark as well (Mark 2:27) bc it also puts into perspective the attitude we should have about the commandments. It's not that we're servants to them, that WE were made, for example, to keep the sabbath day holy. God created the sabbath day for US, as a gift for our improvement and rejuvenation. When I see the commandments as good things, as blessings, not trials- when I remember that God helps me to keep them, things are better for me!

Eileen Young said...

Great reminder, Ian, of the importance of the Sabbath Day observance. So timely- especially today, the Sabbath Day in Edmonton, AB. Guess what? We are snowed in & I mean really snowed in. Can't get out. So - what does Grannie do? She reads carefully the Sunday School lesson, the Relief Society lesson, then takes her tapes of Hymns and sings along with Tape 3- hymns #34 - 51 ....some of these hymns I have never heard before. They brought the spirit to our home so strongly I don't mind being home-bound. Grandpa & I will read & discuss Conference talks....write in our Journals. We are lucky in this day & age to have the technology to enable us to make contact with family & friends, shut-ins.Perhaps the Lord is testing us to see what exactly we will do on the Sabbath Day when we can't get to Church. See, I have already made contact right from my own home - so let it s-n-o-w!!
Love to all -
Grannie

2x2momma said...

What a great thought to have in mind when we did our RS lesson today- which was on the Sabbath and actually quoted from that verse. I think I was much better about keeping the Sabbath day when I single and before I had kids. It's harder now to set aside time for meditating, reading, even preparing my lessons! Thanks for the reminder.