Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Power of Hello

Hey Gang,

Mom heard this on npr's "This I Believe" series. I thought it was great. Just like the scriptures often tell us - small things lead to that which is great. We don't know how much good we can do by simply saying hello. You can hear the entire essay by going to this link:
http://www.thisibelieve.org/dsp_ShowEssay.php?uid=48202

Love to all,
Gramps

When I was about 10 years old, I was walking down the street with my mother. She stopped to speak to Mr. Lee. I was busy trying to bulls-eye the "O" in the stop sign with a rock. I knew I could see Mr. Lee any old time around the neighborhood, so I didn't pay any attention to him.
After we passed Mr. Lee, my mother stopped me and said something that has stuck with me from that day until now. She said, "You let that be the last time you ever walk by somebody and not open up your mouth to speak, because even a dog can wag its tail when it passes you on the street." That phrase sounds simple but it’s been a guidepost for me and the foundation of who I am.... I believe that every person deserves to feel someone acknowledge their presence, no matter how humble they may be or even how important.
I still follow my mother's advice. I speak to everyone I see, no matter where I am. I've learned that speaking to people creates a pathway into their world, and it lets them come into mine, too.
The day you speak to someone who has their head held down and when they lift it up and smile, you realize how powerful it is just to open your mouth and say, "Hello."

4 comments:

Eileen Young said...

P-R-O-F-O-U-N-D!!
Here in Victoria on our walks we meet many different kinds of people. Sometimes we get the opportunity to start a conversation with them. We find some just need a listening ear as they may be lonely or just need a sounding board. Grandpa has given out a lot of 'pass-along-cards' because we have taken the time to talk. We enjoy listening & get a new perspective on things.
Thanks for sharing OJ

2x2momma said...

That's a really great story Grampa. Thank you for sharing it! It's interesting to hear that insight into you, and it's also very true!

Coleen said...

I love this story. And I hope everyone gets a chance to listen to it by clicking the link.
Like Dad says, there's great power in the simplest things.

Bonnie White said...

I loved catching up on the Schneider/Young/2x2 Momma news. And I especially enjoyed this post from Gramps - it was most definitely something I needed to read and understand today. Thanks for sharing.