Friday, October 28, 2011

I'm Blind! I'm Deaf! I Wanna be a Ref!

Back in high school I was a referee for the Murray Parks and Recreation soccer leagues. I also refereed flag football. I continued to do so in college, becoming a referee supervisor later on. Refereeing is always something I've enjoyed, even if that seems a bit masochistic. Making sure the game is played completely fair is something I like doing, and if that means taking a couple of boos from the crowd from what they perceive is a bad call, so be it.

Julian and Caleb have started playing soccer for AYSO. One of the requirements for each team is that they help provide volunteer referees for the games. At Ian's suggestion, I decided to get back into the refereeing game; not only for Julian and Caleb, but at the higher levels as well.



Here's me in my referee uniform. Lindsay says I look handsome. You be the judge, but remember that her opinion holds much more weight in my mind ;)



Here's me in action. Julian's admiring my amazing skills here too!

FYI, the post title is a soccer chant when a call goes against the home team.

4 comments:

LiNds said...

The best part of all this is not only getting to watch Spence in action (and he's good!) (and IS handsome in the outfit) but it's also so fun to see Caleb and Julian at play. They are getting really great! They were both running after the ball like pros and getting good kicks. Unfortunately I didnt get a pic while Julian or Caleb was playing - there's lots to watch! but I will update you all if I do get a good one.

Eileen Young said...

I agree with LiNds - you look real handsome in your uniform. And also you look like a pro.
Thanks for sending me your picture with the cut on your forehead - lucky it missed your eye. Remember you have a wife to support so no hijinks. I bet the boys love having their uncle on the field with them.
Grannie

Grampa said...

There's something about a man in uniform. But where's the whistle?

mrpuente said...

Totally appreciate Uncle Spencer reffing the games. I've never seen a ref get so many hugs!