Saturday, July 21, 2012

Kinder Fun

This past month I have been teaching Kindergarten at a Korean Summer School. The students are really great. They are energetic, curious, and fun. It's also cute when I ask them a word in Korean and they try to teach me. :) There are 7 of them and I have them all day. .
We have been doing a lot of fun songs, crafts, and activities to keep busy and engaged in learning during these summer months. Here's a picture of the class doing a counting and number comparison activity.
Yesterday was our Open House, when the parents came to see more of what their kids have been up to! I snapped a few pictures before it started so I could share a sense of the class with you. It's a 'monkey' theme, so it's fun to call them my 'monkeys' and give them their jobs for the day. One student is the 'filler' or 'monkey' helper.
One activity I'm particularly proud of is when they asked,'what's a cocoon?' They are English Learners, but this is a tricky word anyway. We did a whole lesson about the butterfly life cycle, then had a 'caterpillar' visit (it was plastic)... we examined the food he ate (various leaves) and made observations about the different kinds. Then after lunch the caterpillar went missing!! We went on a treasure hunt around the school, visiting the different teachers and gathering clues, and then ending back in our class where we found the caterpillar making a cocoon (or chrysalis for a butterfly.) It was really fun to set it up on our tree and label it :)
The open house went really well! I enjoy teaching these kids!!

2 comments:

Eileen Young said...

What a beautiful blog. You are a MASTER TEACHER.
Love you,
Grannie

Coleen said...

Wish all the grandsons had you for their kindergarten teacher!