Monday, March 14, 2011

Blessing


I recently needed to find out my exact tuition cost for undergrad, how much of that was taken care of in scholarships, and about how much I spent on living expenses. It took a little time but it reminded me how much I enjoyed UofA: roommates, cousin dinners, hockey, and studying where so much of the family had studied! (G&G, Dad, Mom, etc.) Besides following in the footsteps of my forbears, it had also always been my plan to attend, in part because through high school they ground into our heads that being on honour roll gets you 'The Rutherford Scholarship' for each year you get honours. $400 for grade 10, $800 for grade 11, and a whopping $1300 for grade 12 and the Alberta Diploma Exams - but you don't get that money for school until you enroll.

I was pretty sure I wouldnt qualify for 12th grade because I learned you had to be an Alberta resident during your high school years (I was in Washington in 12th). With this in mind, I was sitting in the study of the Belgravia house a month or so into my first year at UofA and called the Alberta Scholarship number in anticipation of finally getting this scholarship. Somehow I was told I had lost the grade 10 and 11 scholarship because I had not lived in Canada for grade 12. I was bummed! But now for the good part: because of my recent research I found out that I WAS in fact eligible to get the Rutherford for grade 10 and 11! The check is being processed :) The best part is that I know so much more about budgeting now so I have planned for it to cover one small loan I had to take out my last year of University.

1 comment:

Coleen said...

Like finding a 10 year old gift card that hasn't expired yet! - and the Cdn dollar is helping you out now too...
Good work Linds!