Friday, March 16, 2012

Just when I thought I had life all figured out...



Yesterday I pulled up to the Dairy Queen drive thru with my window open. I waited for the guy infront of me to order what ended up being an order of six blizzards. I could hear him ramble off familiar flavours which were listed on the menu board when all of a sudden I heard "and a Cherry Chocolate". Cherry Chocolate? There was no Cherry Chocolate option on the menu board. Suddenly I felt like I was in an episode of The Twilight Zone. The man infront finished his order and I drove forward. I also ordered this mysterious "Cherry Chocolate" flavour half expecting to be asked to come up with a secret password and handshake. The woman, without hesistation, simply told me what I owed and prompted me to drive up to the window. Of course at that point I was dizzy with intrigue and when finally face to face with one of the employees asked how it was possible to be getting a Cherry Chocolate blizzard when it wasn't on the menu. I was in the wardrobe about to step out into the magical world of Narnia. She explained that there were many flavours that were available but not listed on the menu. I asked if the other flavours were listed somewhere else. She replied that there was no written record of these flavours but that they indeed existed. She cited another example - the Buster-Bar Blizzard - available but not on the menu. I drove away both confused and delighted. I felt as though I had just discovered a secret chamber in a video game - but this was no video game, this was real life. I was thrilled to be reminded that just when you think you've got life all figured out and you think you've got the full menu of options memorized, life can surprise you and offer you choices beyond the menu, beyond the expected. So the next time you visit Dairy Queen open your mind, drum up your courage and ask for...whatever you want in your blizzard - the possibilities may be endless.

3 comments:

Coleen said...

Oh Charla I loved this story AND the analogies to Twilight Zone and Narnia and now I'm dying to try Cherry Chocolate.

Niesey said...

just loved this blog also...you are right, you never know the possibilities until you ask for them...how was the cherry chocolate? because now i want one..

Spence said...

Good to know! Did a Google search, found references to "hidden menu" items but nothing specific though it seems you should check with the specific DQ you're visiting. In-N-Out Burger also has their "hidden menu" items.