Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Happy Birthday OJ

The Juice has reached the eventual, effervescent and eventful 6 .... 0.  Rather than retire he will probably work for another 40 years.  Here are the songs we have chosen in honour of OJ:

Ian:
Salt Of The Earth -- Rolling Stones. OJ, you definitely rank as one of the hardest working people I know (alongside Melissa, the apple must not fall far from the tree, eh?). I have always found it to be such an admirable quality. You truly are the salt of the earth and I'm grateful for your example as a husband and father. I'm sure we all raise our (proverbial) cups to you. May this be a great birthday and the best year yet for you!

Woozie:
Happy birthday Dad! The big 6-0!!! I remember I used to sing this to song to you a lot when I was little, so of course it came to mind. Here are two versions of it. Over the summer, it was fun to get the chance to go to and from work with you for a change! Love you lots thanks for being the best Dad ever :)
Love, Rach

Melissa:
I always think of flight of the bumblebee when I think of dad. He would play it sometimes and he played it so beautifully! It was amazing and I loved hearing it ;)

Spencer:
Happy birthday Oliver! The first thing that came to mind about you was your love of golf and getting outdoors to either play or hit the driving range, so I decided to combine golf and comedy with everyone's favorite improv group. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1_UhojClTk

Charla:
I chose this song because I know you like jazz and this is one of my favorite jazz songs.
OJ I hope you have a great jumpin jazzy kind of year full of zest and order and chaos and all that is jazz.

Jordan:
Happy Birthday Dad! I always remember you being a fan of jazz music - I remember listening to it in the car sometimes when you were driving and remembering your big collection of jazz cd's. I learned this song on the piano when Mrs Moore was teaching me due in large part I'm sure to all the jazz music I had listened to from your collections.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs

Lindsay:
Happy Birthday, Dad! So many songs come to mind when I think of you... your cool jazz music and particularly the big band hit parade CD that we kept in the big black CD turning holder in the Belgravia house... The way it really got us all dancing, your Robin's Return on the ivories, sports jingles on tv, your encouragement, support and example to us in our own music making. I realize that my love for creating music is largely due to your good taste!!
Even though these are all such great songs and great memories, my most fond memories involve you and primary songs! 'I'm so glad when Daddy comes home' is one that I'd love to sing to you myself. I remember vividly as a five year old when you had just sat on the couch coming home, and I burst through to your face singing it. You had a big smile! I love that we'd all get in a line and parade around the house, arms popping out like a congo line, dancing to 'Hey Everybody, it's Family Night...' so that's the song I want to spotlight today, that emphasises how you always put family first, and that illustrates your awesome sense of humor and fun loving nature.
'Hey Everybody it's Family Night!' track #9 on the site below. So listen to it there! Whee! Love you!!
Linds

Coleen:
Happy, Happy 60 Ojo! You did it!
I wanted to find a song that embodied that entire perfect blend of kindness, calm, wit, and intellect that is you - the absolute best man I know.
But what I ended up choosing is one of your old time favorite tunes - A little throwback to one of your contemporaries... who put your 'med school mantra' to music.
Just listen to the first 15 seconds and let it all come back :)
Have the best birthday ever,
I Love You,
C

Beej:

Dad you are the best! I am extremely fortunate to have you as my Dad.  Your usually subdued wit, your intelligence, your example of being at the right place at the right time, your tremendous work ethic and your humility are admired by everyone who knows you.  You are a great example and role model.  I like the Robin's Return because it is a lot like you it is a simple but melodious and peaceful composition, not flashy.  It is persistent in repeating similar runs over and over again.  It is very characteristic of your personality which is perhaps why it has stuck with you all these years.  I also chose "Like a Rock" because I think it also reminds me of you and every Southern Alberta farm boy should have a country song to remind them of their roots working in the sun (even if they no longer listen to country music which is probably a good thing).  Happy Birthday Dad!!
Love,
Beej

2 comments:

Grampa said...

Thanks to everyone for the great comments and songs.
I've enjoyed listening to them through the day and reading your very thoughtful cards as well.
Coleen, Rico, and I travelled to Provo today to celebrate Rachel's graduation. This hard working, music and jazz loving golf addict has had a wonderful birthday, and all of you have made it possible. Thanks to all!!

Love, Gramps

Rico said...

Happy Birthday Dad! It was fun celebrating your birthday last night. We partied so hard. So hard that I forgot to send in a birthday song...