Thursday, February 19, 2009

Spring has sprung


These flowers are called snow drops and they are the first to bloom after winter. Since it has felt like a very long winter for me, I almost jumped for joy when I came across them on my walk today.




I love Mary Oliver. She writes these horrid nature poems which I would normally hate except somehow she manoeuvres around clichés like a poetic wizard. (well, I think so anyways.)

Spring

Somewhere
a black bear
has just risen from sleep
and is staring
down the mountain.
All night
in the brisk and shallow restlessness
of early spring
I think of her,
her four black fists
flicking the gravel,
her tongue
like a red fire
touching the grass,
the cold water.
There is only one question:
how to love this world.
I think of her
rising
like a black and leafy ledge
to sharpen her claws against
the silence
of the trees.
Whatever else
my life is
with its poems
and its music
and its cities,
it is also this dazzling darkness
coming
down the mountain,
breathing and tasting;
all day I think of her –
her white teeth,
her wordlessness,
her perfect love.

~ Mary Oliver ~

3 comments:

2x2momma said...

those snowdrops are so pretty Char! It reminds me of that post you put up awhile back with photos of your walk. It was so amazing and enchanting! Is that the same area? You are so lucky to have a beautiful spring to shine down on you ;)

Coleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Coleen said...

Don't you think snowdrop is the perfect name for a spring flower? Now I can hardly wait for spring to come to Seattle. It's definitely taking its time.
I love the photo of Oliver and his friends on the park bench!!