Saturday, December 12, 2009

What Happened to Scrooge?


On Wednesday night I hosted A Christmas Carol party for the Relief Society.  I think it was one of my favorite parties ever cause we got to act out a couple great scenes, eat plum pudding and roast 'goose', play games - all inspired from one of my very favorite books.  
I think I like it so much because its so well written,  so theatrical, it's set in Victorian England, it's about Christmas, but most of all it's because the story is incredibly beautiful and moving.  
It's about a "tight-fisted hand at the grind-stone, Scrooge, a squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous old sinner!"  who through the spirit of Christmas, is transformed.
He becomes, "as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew"  
Just one of my many favorite quotes:

"I'm sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round ... as a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time: the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys ... though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!

Love you, 
Mom

5 comments:

LiNds said...

I love it. Your Relief Society is an exemplary one. How fun you used this story in your party!!

Nora said...

I just read A Chrismas Carol for the first time this season and loved it. I think it's one of those stories that everyone knows but few people have actually read. Fun way to welcome in the Christmas season :)

Eileen Young said...

How lucky for your Relief Society to have you as a 'party planner'. I hope you get called to do the same in Edmonton & that I get invited. The Christmas Carol is one of my favorite theatre productions/ movie/ DVD. Yes, I even directed this play in my drama class at school - way back when - I told the students it is a classic. After the performance they said "Yes, Mrs Young our play was a classic"!! Hope they look back with fond memories participating in this all-time holiday favorite.
I love your blog.
Love,
Mom

2x2momma said...

I loved watching this movie over Thanksgiving. Sounds like a really fun and wonderful party!

C.J. Schneider said...

What a great idea for the party...love the quote.