Sunday, July 25, 2010

BIRTHDAY GIRL!!


57 years ago on the windswept plains of Mandan, ND. a baby girl passed from the pre-existence into mortality. Nourished by the love of her family she grew into the wonderful woman we know simply as Nana - but also as Nano, Coleen, Coco, Lou, Mom, Mama and Mama Bear.
Each of these nicknames shows a different part of Nana's personality and her roles. One of her greatest traits is her kind, generous and self-sacrificing nature. Often she allows her concern about meeting others needs to interfere with her own needs. Our neighbor always says this about Nano - 'She's ALWAYS doing something for someone else. I don't know how she does it.' This past year has been very busy for Coleen. She has organized dozens of meetings (film club, book club, NCL, building contractors, etc.), meals, parties, hiking excursions, and fun times of all kinds for everyone she knows. Nano loves hosting, and our home has been a bed and breakfast to many in the past and hopefully many in the future. Her skill in organizing and working through details has led to her two demanding callings in the Mercer Island ward as Activities Chair and Music Chair, and her skills have been appreciated by all. The Christmas programs have been legendary!
In addition, she has operated a small travel agency for the family, scheduling travel and accommodation for all the comings and goings of our far flung group.
Nano's greatest focus and her life's work is her family - a growing cast of characters big and small with varied wants and needs. Her greatest hope is that her family can be united in the home she left 57 years ago.
Nana has been a loving and devoted companion for 34 years. I am so proud of her and love her so much.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

XOXOXO
Gramps

12 comments:

Rico said...

Happy Birthday Mom! You're the best!

C.J. Schneider said...

Have a wonderful birthday!!! You definately are a woman of action. Hosting cousin camp, welcoming us home from the UK (lending us essentials to help with the transition), babysitting so Jord and I can go on date night, opening your Begravia house to us when we first arrived, taking Oliver to movies, being a first rate Nana to my boys. Thanks for everything you do for me.

Bonnie White said...

I've known you for 37 years now Coleen. I was baptised on your birthday. New beginnings. New friend. I've been blessed with your introductions to many books, plays, movies, hobbies and recipes. And your constancy. You've loved me and loved my children. Even when we haven't been always loveable. You're pretty cool! Happy Birthday.

mrpuente said...

I hope you have a great birthday! I have to echo Charla's sentiment, you are a great Nana. So happy to be a part of your family.

mrpuente said...

I hope you have a great birthday! I have to echo Charla's sentiment, you are a great Nana. So happy to be a part of your family.

Snej said...

Happy Birtyhday Nana! You've been a huge help to us since coming back from the UK. Thank you very much for all that you've done!

Eileen Young said...

We always knew you were special....now we are v-e-r-y sure. Carry on!
Love
Mom & Dad

woozie said...

I can't put into words how grateful I am for all the help love and support you've given me over the years. You truly are the best mom I could ask for! Love you lots!!!!
Xoxo love Rach

LiNds said...

I love you, Mom! You are a great friend, support, counselor, and example! I love being a part of your family and I am so proud of everything you do for us and for others! Luv you! Have a WONDERFUL birthday!

2x2momma said...

Happy Birthday Mom! We're so grateful for everything that you do for us!! You truly are a wonderful inspiration of doing your best to serve your family and we appreciate your efforts and love. We're all thinking about you on this special day. Love- the puentes

beej11 said...

Haooy Bday Momma! I hope you enjoy it by taking some me time. I love the way you are patient and kind in offering me reminders about what I need to do and also what I should do. Can't wait to see everybody in a couple of weeks.

Coleen said...

Thanks everyone for your birthday wishes! I had the best birthday, thanks to you!