Monday, January 30, 2012

2011 Paris Dishes Up 1929 Hollywood


At our film club meeting on Saturday we all had to come with our fave 2011 movie. The one for me? The Artist. Loved it.
I get excited about a movie with good acting and interesting camera work and a fresh take. This one has it. And a movie where there's a beautiful balance of plot (its simple and sweet, but with surprises up to the last second) characterization, setting, dialogue. And even though this one is pretty paltry on the dialogue - it's a 'silent movie' after all - and the special effects are more along Marcel Marceau than CGI and fast cars - it all came together beautifully. And it's up for best picture too. And its French.
So I say its a complete must-see.

5 comments:

woozie said...

I will be sure to put this movie on my list! It looks great.

Rico said...

I've heard alot of good things about this movie. It's interesting this year that alot of the best picture nominees focus on the past. Guess our society is really nostalgic right now.

Coleen said...

Interesting point Rico. Now that I think of the nine movies nominated I see what you're saying.

Grampa said...

I think that during difficult economic times people tend to look to the past.

LiNds said...

We saw this over the weekend and LOVED it! I am such a fan of a heroine that helps other people.