Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I am not so smart


So I recently discovered this youtube clip that talks about procrastination. Then I realized it is based on a chapter from a book called "You are not so smart." I also realized that there is a blog maintained by the same author at youarenotsosmart.com
I found this to be a fascinating take on procrastination. I struggle with procrastination, but at the same time I consider myself to be a pretty driven and motivated individual. So I never bought into the fact that overcoming procrastination is just a matter of willpower and time management or buying the perfect planner. The video suggests that you have to trick yourself into not procrastinating because of present bias.
Hopefully I can apply this. I like the idea of thinking "what would the future me think of the present-day me, because I didn't start on the assignment or didn't do this certain thing?" It's a cool way of thinking and hopefully I don't go schizophrenic thinking like that.

2 comments:

Grampa said...

Powerful stuff, Rico. The youtube clip is hilarious.
This is advanced psychology at its finest.
I like the idea that with the present bias, procrastination will never go away. I, for one, am going to work harder at outsmarting myself, hopefully not tomorrow.

woozie said...

This is awesome! I love this, I am a fan of psychology as well and I think this is a universal phenomenon that we can all work on improving.