Thursday, January 12, 2012

Greendale's Finest: Community


So I used my amazon gift card that I received over Christmas (thanks Santa!) to go towards buying the first two seasons of Community. They arrived today! I have already seen most of the episodes and I have been watching the third season on hulu. Part of the reason why I got the DVDs is that it is not on Netflix but also because...
Community is easily my favorite comedy show currently on the air (though it is on a brief hiatus). Some of the reason why I like it so much may have to do with the bias that the lead star (the guy resting his head on his hand in the picture, Joel McHale) went to Mercer Island High School in the early 90s.
But I just love the craziness and cleverness of the show and the way they creatively reference other movies/tv shows, etc.
Most shows on TV love to play on the concept of adults behaving childishly. Arrested Development executed that concept perfectly. I never thought I would say this, but I think Community is in the same league as Arrested Development. When Arrested Development went off the air I never thought I'd see a show that could compare to it, but then Community came around. So thanks Community! I know I'll be taking you with me on airplane rides or long road trips.

4 comments:

Eileen Young said...

David, you write very well. You got me curious.
Grannie

Coleen said...

Well with all the movie & TV references I can totally see you as a fan - you who are King of the Pass the Popcorn game.
So if Community is in the same league as AD does that mean it shows 'adults acting childishly'?

C.J. Schneider said...

I thought Episode 23: Modern Warfare (Community season 1)was SO SO funny!

LiNds said...

I really liked the couple episodes i've seen of this too so thanks for reminding me about it. Cool that McHale went to MI!