Friday, November 30, 2012

Capilano Suspension Bridge

Last weekend was a blast.  Mom, Andrew and I got to go up to Vancouver to visit with the Johnsons and see Emma perform in a play called Dancing at Lughnasa. She played an Irish woman in the 1930's who had 4 sisters and she did awesome!
We also got to visit the famous Capilano Suspension Bridge, one of the top tourist attractions in Vancouver that none of us had been to!  Mom will recall that I was griping quite a bit because we weren't expecting to have to pay money to go across the bridge, but I'm glad we did because it was really cool!  It is a big park area now with quite a few other cool features besides the bridge itself, including a treetop walk and a cliff walk. The bridge is about a 250 m long and it spans a really deep valley, so it's kind of scary to cross!  The thing that amazed me the most is how strong it is- just a few years ago, a huge cedar came crashing down onto the bridge during a storm.  Not only did the bridge not break, it SNAPPED the tree that fell onto it!  Pretty amazing.  Makes you feel a bit safer as you walk across it!  If you haven't been, I definitely recommend it.  


1 comment:

Coleen said...

I'm in disbelief that it took me so long to get to this site. It's so much fun and an amazing engineering feat.
And even more fun with such fun people :)