Thursday, November 1, 2012

Downton Abbey Mania!

I know many of us are fans of this British period drama! So for Halloween this year, I had the idea of dressing up as Lady Sybil and having Andrew dress up as Branson (everyone knows they're a better couple than Mary and Matthew, right?).  However, I didn't know how we'd be able to pull of authentic looking costumes.
Until... Andrew mentioned that his grandma sews costumes a lot and she might be willing to do it.  So he asked her and she said she would!  Not even a week later, our costumes arrived all the way from California.  I was so excited to see that the costumes were almost exactly the same as the ones in the show!  She is quite talented.
We wore them at our ward Halloween party on Saturday and got several excited comments from girls who had seen the show.  Yesterday, we decided to make our rounds about campus in costume.  A girl stopped us and asked if she could take our photo.  We agreed and she snapped us in our best Downton Abbey pose.  Little did we know that it would be posted to the BYU Facebook page an hour later!  They took lots of pictures of people's costumes throughout the day. There were lots of thrilled people commenting on our picture and it was very gratifying to see that so many people were fans.  My only regret is that I found out some spoilers about season 3 in the comments section... I haven't even seen season 3 yet!  Oh well.
Probably my favorite moment in this costume was when we were walking through the bookstore and the cashier's face lit up as we walked in.  She said, "you guys make me so happy!" It was a fun costume idea and I'm glad we could do it!  All thanks to Andrew's grandma!
 This is the picture that got us on the BYU Facebook page!
We took a picture before our ward's Halloween party on Saturday night as well.

5 comments:

Rico said...

Looks great!

LiNds said...

Yes, you guys look amazing! I have been showing off your pic. I'm especially impressed with the backgrounds in these shots, because they are so period-esque!

Eileen Young said...

Lucky you! Does Grandma also quilt. I feel like we could be 'kindred spirits'! Great pix.
Grannie

Coleen said...

You two look amazing on the BYU facebook page and 442 other people thought so too :)
So cool that Andrew's grandma is such a cool costume designer.

woozie said...

Thanks guys! And yes, Andrew's grandma does quilt!