Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cooking

So one of the new things I am improve is my cooking skills. I have decided that after seven years of essentially living away from home and being malnourished it is time to eat well this year. So far this resolution has not been entirely successful what with the hundreds of pages of law school textbooks I have to plough through not to mention a newfound love of watching football with my roomates, the Champions League, the start of the Edmonton Oilers season, intramural sports, running and just a general lacksadaisacal disposition that I have to fight against everyday plus all these dates I've been going on lately (jk don't want to get your hopes up Momma) I just haven't had the time.

Anyways, I am currently getting my collection of recipes together so if any of you guys have any good recipes you've discovered lately please let me know I particularly enjoy fruit salads, creme brule, light regular salads with balsamic vinegar dressings no I'm sorry that's another terrible joke. I like meat, I've read portions of Omnivore's Dilemma, I've read about the bad things about red meat but I just can't turn away. In fact I got an appointment with my butcher this saturday to bbq another brisket so (and this is no joke) if anybody has a good colesaw recipe let me know. PS- I will have pictures of Peru soon. Ok I gotta go

3 comments:

Coleen said...

Beej - Glad to see your Ukrainian roots coming out - you LIKE cabbage! I DO have the best coleslaw recipe EVER but you're going to have to wait until I get home for me to divulge. ~
In the meantime, shred some cabbage, a bit of carrots and just a wee bit onion and for the dressing, mix mayo, white sugar and vinegar. Hopefully that'll tide you over for now.

mrpuente said...

I love a coleslaw without mayonaise. This is a great one from the BBQ USA guy. I like to add some crushed peanuts to the finished coleslaw for some extra crunch:

http://recipe.aol.com/recipe/north-carolina-vinegar-sauce/74206

LiNds said...

I just called meliss for this taco soup recipe.

1 pound ground beef
1 chopped onion
1pkg taco seasoning
1 15 ounce can corn
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 15 ounce can kidney beans
1 15 ounce can pinto beans
1 can water

Brown the beef, onion, drain, and put everything else in a pan on the stove, simmer for 30-40 minutes. Voila! You can also serve it with corn chips, cheese, and sour cream.
Let me know if you like it because I also have a chili recipe from Better Homes and Gardens that it goo. I mean good.