Sunday, September 27, 2009

There's a first time for everything!


Ok, I've had a lot of firsts lately, and most of them have to do with living on your own at college. But this first is a little different- I got a black eye. I did not get in some kind of gang fight, which would probably be a more interesting story.
I was playing capture the flag. In fact, it was an attempt to break the World Record for the biggest game of capture the flag ever played. And we did break it! (The record was 1200 and we had 1280 or something like that.) However, the excitement came at a price for me. It was really dark, and all I could see was the blue and yellow glow stick bracelets that everyone was wearing to identify which team they were on. The game had just started and I was doing my duty, trying to tag people coming into our yellow territory, when all of a sudden I find myself knocked onto the ground with a throbbing pain just below my eye. I felt so dizzy and disoriented that I barely realized what happened. My friend Spencer said "whoaa are you ok?" I had apparently just run into one of the girls I was trying to tag. The appropriate apologies were exchanged, and she went off. However, as I tried to stand up, I realized the injury was a little more serious than I expected. I could feel the injury swelling, already. With the help of Spencer, I made my way back to the fieldhouse and got an ice pack. Unfortunately, I was out of commission for the rest of the game. Later on, the officials of the game informed me that I had been the only injury in a world record breaking game.
Hopefully my name will be listed in the Guinness Book of World Records!

P.S. This happened last Friday, so I'm happy to say that the black eye is pretty much gone. But I've posted a picture for your enjoyment.

6 comments:

Coleen said...

Rach! you've always been a risk taker, and since the only casualty you've had (Other than the tree house incident!) has been a black eye, I'd say you've got a guardian angel. Way to go and congrats on being part of a new a word record!

Eileen Young said...

Dear Woozie - Are you O K now?
My sympathies
Love
Grannie

woozie said...

Yes Grannie I am ok now! Thanks for your concern.
And maybe you're right Mom. Although there may have been some other minor injuries along the way, like the nail in the foot and the burn on my arm, I've generally been pretty lucky with injuries!

LiNds said...

even our bru ha ha's never reaped shiners like that one!

Coleen said...

OH yeh - Guess you did have a couple other little incidents along the way.
And of course, there was the time you fell against the Wensel's fireplace and got a couple little steri strip stitches...I guess I was so traumatized by all these other ones that I blocked them ! :)

2x2momma said...

way to take one for the team, wooz!