Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I'm grateful for goals


So my marathon is coming up on Saturday. I'm pretty nervous about it. That said, I've been pretty diligent about following my training schedule and building up my stamina. I haven't been perfect (which may account for some of the nervousness) but its been such a great experience getting in shape in preparation for this big day. I've had fitness goals in the past (ie lose weight) but after a while I lose interest and my goal fades. The marathon goal has been so much better in the sense that I'm preparing for some particular event or activity. It has kept me very motivated and focused. I think that having a very specific objective is important in goal setting no matter what area we're focusing on. I'm trying to apply that to other areas now. Instead of a goal to "read my scriptures", I've set a goal to "finish the Doctrine and Covenants before the end of the year". Then, I try to work up a schedule to help achieve it. I hope that is helpful to some of you!

3 comments:

Coleen said...

Have a great race Ian!! Wish we were there to cheer you on!

Jaima said...

How'd it go? I heard from my dad that you were recently recognized by your JRC law society chapter as an outstanding lawyer- congratulations.

I totally understand what you mean about general fitness goals. They never work for me. I can never achieve my goal to "get in shape" or "lose 10 pounds". Actually, I can't even make myself run on my own. That's why I like to play soccer. Joining a team commits me to a regular schedule, and enough running to be able to make it through a game without dying for subs. And being committed to a team makes me less of a washout about following through with the running (ugh.).
Hope you enjoyed the race. Good on you!

mrpuente said...

It went well. Slow, but it was a great experience. Think I'll try another one in March!