Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Ain't nothin' like the real thing baby...

(I hope to post some pics of the boys soon...not sure where the camera cords are yet)


Recently I have fallen in love with Cheecha lime potato puffs. We met at my Mom's house in Rocky and the affair has been passionate. One day I was thinking about how much I love those Cheecha lime puffs and also thinking how absolutely fantastic/brilliant it was of Cheecha to come up with a snack that tastes SO MUCH like lime. I'm crazy about lime, I love it. Then it dawned on me - WHY NOT JUST EAT REAL LIME? These potato puffs are pretty nutrient deficient; they taste like a lime, they are sour in your mouth like a lime - but they will never be a lime.

There are so many artificial stand ins that pass for the real deal but ultimately never satisfy like the real deal would. Like cereal that sparsely throws in dehydrated processed berries that feel like they were made of cardboard - advertised "real fruit!" Why not just buy your own real berries???

This principle of course extends to other stand ins like when you are tired and you need rest in order to restore your energy. The real deal would be to rest, perhaps go to sleep early, whereas the stand ins (caffeine, sugar, adrenaline) only offer an artificial restoration of your energy. Or if you feel sad, lonely or hurt - there are loads of ways to artificially deal with your emotions but again why reach for the Cheecha lime puffs when you could make Cilantro-Lime Chicken Fajitas? Choosing anything but the real deal leaves your body/mind/spirit still craving and needing the real deal; perhaps passified for a moment but never truly satisfied.

4 comments:

2x2momma said...

You are so wise Char, did you satisfy your craving? I'm going to try to make those Cilantro Fajitas, now you've got me craving lime!

beej11 said...

Char awesome recipe I can't wait to try it lime and cilantro (two of my favorite things) wrapped in a grilled preferably homemade tortilla are you kidding me why didn't I think of this earlier!

Grampa said...

Mouth watering ideas and photos, Char. I think much of the challenge of mortality is recognizing all the counterfeits out there. If you need any help getting rid of those fajitas, I'll volunteer.

Katey said...

Can't wait to try the recipe. Now All I need is some good recipes for the other fabulous citrus out there: LEMON!