Thursday, March 11, 2010

Coaching Jr. High School Boys


So recently my friend Dave asked if I would help him coach a jr. high school jr. boys team. At first I thought I'd be too busy and wasn't sure if it would be a good idea because I didn't know exactly what I was doing but I thought it would be fun and Dave and I rarely get to see each other these days so I decided to do it. .......

And I'm not going to lie when I went to the 1st tryout I remember thinking man did I suck this bad when I was younger because this might be a long season kids everywhere you turned were committing carries, hacks, double dribbles, travelling violations(even more blatant than what you see in the NBA), air balls, dropped passes etc. despite it all I got kinda attached to the kids after they started calling me "coach Schneider" and asking me how to play. It was then that I realized that even though I had very limited coaching experience I sure knew loads more than I thought I did. And, not to be boastful, I could probably teach these kids a thing or two or three of four .....

After the second tryout the cuts were hard. Some of course were easy (see above) but the kids that you got to know and were close to making the team it was tough. I also gained a much greater respect for my school and community league coaches for their patience and time that they volunteered (something you don't really appreciate as a kid).

Anyways, it definitely had its ups and downs and games got really intense for me there were times I would literally be almost pulling my hair out because stuff we had worked on for entire practices would not get down come game time but I would also cheer when they actually did do stuff you showed them. Overall it was a fantastic experience, unfortunately, we were eliminated in the 1st round of the playoffs we lost 49-47 in a really see-saw battle that saw us go up by ten then with 7 minutes left go down by 14 and then in the final two minutes erase a ten point deficit only to come up just a little short. I think I might do it again next year

4 comments:

Bonnie White said...

Nathan also coached community basketball this winter. Had many of the same insights, frustrations and joys you did. I think it is pretty neat Beej that you are giving of your time to support the community. Josh will play in Nationals March 18th against Humberton. They are pretty pumped to be there.

LiNds said...

Wow, Beej, that's pretty rad that you are doing a cool volunteer project. I hope you do find time to do it next year, because it sounds fun!

Grampa said...

I watched the first half of that last game, Beej, and it was just as you said - an exciting see-saw battle. It seemed to be a real positive experience for everyone, and that is the most important thing in youth sports. Nice work giving back to the community.

Eileen Young said...

John, I can still see you playing BB - we watched a game when we visited & you invited us to 'spectate' you sure could move & were a great dribbler & valuable player. So, you should be a great coach. They will probably ask for you next year. What with your skills & fun personality, you'll be sought after.
Go, John, Go!
Grannie