Thursday, September 15, 2011

Mt. Timpanogos































This summer Rico and I had the opportunity to try to summit Timpanogos. Sadly the unusually high amount of snow still on top of the mountain in July did not permit us to reach the top. Timpa is still definitely on the hit list because it was beautiful and I was amazed at how close and accessible it was to get there. We had to take a detour of the trail and go up a rock chute to try to get to the top, finally we realized that there was going to be no chance to get to the top. Rico's adventurism and desire to get to the top was a great asset. I know at first he was worried he'd be too out of shape but he did great even when we got into a few dicey spots with rocks sliding down on us and exposed, slippery patches where we almost fell down hard.

Rather than try to push to the top and risk getting caught in the dark or freezing our feet off in the snow drifts we would have had to push through Rico and I decided to go down and hit Chipotles. I really hate it when I have to leave a hike unfinished but it is always the right decision to play it safe.


The trip to Utah was great it was fun seeing Woozie, Sydney and Rico and meet some of their friends. I can see why Utah would be a great place to live if only for the outdoor activities that you can do there. And I'll be back for Timpo ....... and if Rico and Woozie are still there I'll for sure see them too.

5 comments:

Bonnie White said...

It's so clear John how much you love hiking and being in the outdoors. I hope that your adult life (read no school) includes some of that every day.

Rico said...

We wouldn't have even made it as far as we did if it weren't for your wild wilderness knowledge and instincts. If we are both down here when there is no snow, we will have to summit Mt. Timpanogos

Grampa said...

Great shots guys. Discretion is the better part of valor. Nothing more embarrassing for a hiker than a helicopter rescue.

Spence said...

Or being carried out immobilized by Search and Rescue. Been there, done that.

Karyn said...

Yeah, Why do we hate leaving a hike undone? That is a tough one for me too.