Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Road

I have the book review position for our blog, which works out perfectly because I have upped my book reading rate significantly over the past few weeks thanks to no more classes! Most recently, I read The Road, by Cormac McCarthy.  He has written several books including No Country for Old Men, which was made into a much publicized movie that you may have heard about.  
The Road is a post-apocalyptic tale about a father and a son who have nothing at the world's end except for each other.  They make their way south slowly and painfully with no idea of what they will find, just a hope that things will be better.  It is a depressing, but also somehow hopeful story, both disturbing and moving at the same time.  I recommend it to those who can handle a somewhat of a downer book.  The writing style is very minimalist and hard to get used to at first, but once I did I found it hard to put down. 
I will be sure to review more books that I find interesting for your enjoyment!  Also, I would love to hear any recommendations of great books to read.  I'm always on the lookout.

2 comments:

mrpuente said...

Huge fan of the book, but not for the faint of heart.

C.J. Schneider said...

I've thought about picking this story up but don't think now is the right time for me - thanks for the review I always like hearing about good books.