Friday, August 31, 2012

BLUE MOON




You know the saying, "Once in a Blue Moon"?  Well I knew that it meant some kind of rare event and yesterday I found out why...
My friend texted me last night to ask if I'd seen the blue moon.  So Rico and I went outside to take a look.  There was a pale yellow fullish moon obscured by clouds and Rico said, it doesn't look very blue and I said, well you know the clouds make it look kind of blueiesh.  But then I thought, wait a minute - he's right!  So I looked up 'blue moon' and this is what I found:
In recent decades many people have begun using the term 'Blue Moon' to describe the second full moon in a calendar month.  
It's very rare that two occur in one calendar month.
My friend texted me a few minutes later to say whoops! - blue moon is actually Friday - tonight!

Hope you can enjoy the 'blue moon' tonight! You won't see another one until 2015.

4 comments:

Eileen Young said...

Thanks for the comment. All the things one can learn.
We couldn't see the moon tonight - too cloudy.
Mom

Grampa said...

It looks pretty beautiful - blue or yellow.

woozie said...

We were hoping to see that blue moon on our infamous hike. Sadly, we didn't get to see much of it!

Coleen said...

But you certainly got to see a lot of other stuff!!