Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Forum with Greg Mortenson

I am not very good at going to all the devotionals and forums that happen every tuesday, but today I went to the forum where Greg Mortenson was the keynote speaker. I have not read his book, Three Cups of Tea. I have heard of it though.
He talked about the importance of brining the old structure of society back to Afghanistan. He talked about the challenges he went through to start building schools in Asia. He has really made a difference in the world and it was quite amazing to hear of the things he has accomplished. He said that he failed along the way as well. I found it interesting that the event that inspired him to start building schools in Asia was right after he had failed to summit the mountain K2. It was a really good forum and if you have not read that book it seems really good and I want to read it now.

imgres.jpg

3 comments:

C.J. Schneider said...

Glad you posted about that, I'm always looking for good books to pick up. He sounds like an interesting author.

Coleen said...

Our book club is scheduled to read Three Cups of Tea in January so if anyone wants to borrow the book after I'm done (or even before) let me know.
I attended a fundraiser for a girls school in Afghanistan. The woman speaking was a former lawyer who had given up her career to start the school. It was inspiring to hear her.

Grampa said...

Put me on the list to borrow the book.