Sunday, October 18, 2009

On Our Way Home - October


Hi Gang,
Nano and I had a new experience for General Conference this year. We got to experience it in Scotland where live conference is in the evening, 7 hours ahead of SLC.
Because of the travel schedule, I only saw one session live, thanks to Jord and Char's high speed internet connection. The talks that really stood out for me were the two on the love of God by Pres. Uchtdorf and Elder Oaks. I thought they complemented each other, and really showed the occupational background of the two speakers. Pres. Uchtdorf, as a former airline pilot, gives a lot of flying references and uses a flowery, ethereal style. Elder Oaks, as a former lawyer and judge, uses a disciplined, organized style, based heavily on eternal laws.
The message I got from these two talks was that love is central and intrinsic to everything we do in the gospel and in life. It is the motivation for what we do in the gospel. If we truly love God and our fellow beings, we will find joy in keeping the commandments and in doing service. Disobedience and sin will be painful to us. God loves us and wants to help us, but he is bound by eternal laws, as Elder Oaks explains. We have to follow the program. We have to knock before he can open the door. These are simple concepts, but they really struck me, and the Spirit spoke to me that they are true. I hope you all get a chance to read and ponder them. I'd really like to hear your thoughts on Conference, and any talks that stood out for you.
Luv, Gramps

4 comments:

Coleen said...

I liked what you said Gramps, and about your question on what conference talk stood out for me -
it was Elder Scott's on the influence of the Holy Spirit.
He reminded us that if we fervently pray with humility and gratitude, we can learn to be consistently guided by the Holy Spirit in all aspects of our lives.

Eileen Young said...

Profound commentary, OJ
"An effective teacher is defined by how he strives to live the gospel, by how he strives to touch the hearts of others for good" You did it!
All Conference talks were uplifting. I liked Elder Bednar's talk. Summarized, he counsels -"walk the talk'', don't be a hypocrite!
Grandpa is using Elder Holland's talk for discussion tonight at our Family Home Evening group.
Nice that we can replay & listen to Conference on the Internet.
Grannie

LiNds said...

I like what you said! As for my fave, it was Pres. Uchtdorf's about love. 'Love is the measure of our faith... ' I also love listening to his German accent. It kind of connects me with my roots. :)

C.J. Schneider said...

My fave was Elder Holland. Even though it seemed like he was giving me heck, I loved his words regarding the authorship of the Book of Mormon "No wicked man could write it. No good man ever would."