Thursday, February 18, 2010

Community College Swim Class (Or How I Learned To Embrace Middle-Age)


I'm going to be 36 in two months. Its not something that keeps me up at night, nor am I desperate to do anything that makes me seem younger. I'm actually happier and more at ease with myself than I've ever been. That said, I have been having a hard time fully grasping the fact that I'm not really a young buck anymore. The guys at the mall who used to hand me passes to hip clubs, ignore me now. My pop culture references miss the mark about 95% of the time. But today was my first swim class at Santa Monica College. As I was standing there, I realized that when I started community college in 1992 many of my classmates were just being born!!! That just blew my mind. I felt really old.

That said, there was a silver lining. I absolutely loved the class. I think i'll be able to hit my 2.5 mile swim goal by the end of the year. Additionally, I was the fastest swimmer in the class. Granted, it is a beginner class and a good portion can't swim at all, but it made me feel good to beat some of these young kids. Its ok getting older, in fact, I'm kind of digging it.

4 comments:

Coleen said...

Way to go Ian. And altho your pop references might be missing the mark I bet your life experience comments are right on.

Nenzie said...

Learning is a life-long endeavor. Keep it up. We're rooting for you!!
Grannie

Grampa said...

This looks great. You're well on your way to a triathlon!

C.J. Schneider said...

Yes, I agree, getting older is satisfying.