Tuesday, February 23, 2010

work in Canada

Before I left the UK people at work asked me what were some of the things that I would miss most about the UK. There were a few obvious things that came to mind quickly - warmer winters, 6 weeks of holidays, loads of hiking really closeby. After being here a month though I didn't figure that I would quickly miss something work related - something that the Brits call "banter" in the office. It's basically where people informally forget about work and focus on humour at work and laughing with and at each other. I think the number of expressions that I'd never heard of before that they use a lot there supports this train of thought, ie someone "having a laugh", "having a go at someone", "having a windup or winding somebody up", "taking the mick out of someone", and even calling things and saying "pure banter." There were several times during the day when people who had been out ask how the chat / banter had been so far that day. Most of our meetings would inevitably have a banter session or two mixed in - almost like one of the main goals wasn't work but rather banter.

Not that our office in Edmonton doesn't have any banter but so far I can't say it compares to what the Brits deliver each day at work. Maybe Canadians are just a little more down to earth and down to business? I guess Char would have to comment too to see her the offices she worked in compared. But so far I feel like our Edmonton office needs to be introduced a little bit to the British way... before we left the UK some people predicted it right - after I mentioned some of the things I would miss, a few of them said right after they heard my reply, "I bet you'll miss the banter here."

4 comments:

LiNds said...

haha... from what I hear and from my own experience I think americans might be a little more versed in 'bantering.' i was thoroughly 'wound up' and they 'took a go at me' at lunch today. the teacher I work with 'had a laugh' about canadian curling.

C.J. Schneider said...

I especially enjoyed the banter in the Southampton office I worked in. In Britain, you know you're well liked if they make fun of you. I remember my first insult at Lombard...ah, precious.

Grampa said...

We have some banter in the hospital where I work, but it tends to be of the "gallows humor" type. I think Canadians are more serious than Americans, but I didn't realize that Brits were so chatty. This is why we need to share insights from all over the world.

Eileen Young said...

Better to banter than to gossip.
Love your post
Grannie