Thursday, April 22, 2010

BIRTHDAY BOY - MYSTERY MAN

Please remember that after knowing each other for 35 1/2 years and being married for 34 of those years, Oliver and I are realizing there's still a LOT about each other that remains a mystery. Just a few of those mysteries:
OJ shuns the adulation of others, but like it or not, he gets it -anywhere, anytime. Take for instance going to the Edmonton airport together. Why oh why are we greeted at the Alaska Airlines desk by the personnel manager who EVERYTIME treats him as her favorite celebrity? Yes, he's there a lot, but he's there quietly. She tells me how HE is their best-loved favorite of all the regulars. Or when I talk to any of OJ's colleagues and they go on and ON about what a great doctor/person he is. Or how the people he home teaches thinks he's the best ever. Or his grandsons, whose grins couldn't get any wider when they see him. So here I am - giving him public adulation on this blog. Sorry.
When I ask him for advice on something, he comments he thinks I'm on the right course, but after a brief conversation where he points out just a couple of LITTLE suggestions, I've changed the entire course of everything I'm about to do. How does that happen? This is a mystery.
Or when he says he is a luddite but is able to deal with any of my computer questions.
Or how about when he continually tells me how MUCH he prefers to stay in one place but when asked what the best things of the past year were? he says the trip to Chile in June, the trip to Scotland in September, the trips to LA and the two trips to Utah were the absolute HIGHLIGHTS of the year. And how he wants to keep having two addresses in two countries. More mysteries.
Or how he loves the solitude of being an empty nester but will do anything to make all those who come to our home - especially children and grandsons - feel comfortable. So that they'll come again. Or how he hates to dance but has cut up the dance floor with me, who loves to dance - in public, with lots of witnesses - TWO times this year.
All of these mysteries can be explained if it's remembered that Oliver is best known for his great kindness and intelligence and how much he values his family.
Oliver, known as OJ, Ollie, Dad, Grandpa, Doctor, Brother Schneider, is also known for his great sense of humor. He loves the gospel, his family, his work, golf, Costco and thrift store buys - in that order.
There may be much about him that can't be explained, but it's no mystery as to why he's bound to have the best year ever. It's because he deserves it. Happy birthday!



10 comments:

beej11 said...

Yeah Dad happy birthday! And just to add a little more praise I love how Dad is very unselfish even when he is looking for deals it's rarely for himself it's always for others. I think it's great that Mom didn't mention how old you are I guess it's unnecessary. The important thing is you could still probably beat me wrestling even though you're getting older I'm pretty sure you're still stronger than me.

C.J. Schneider said...

I am a huge OJ fan as well. I hope you have a wonderful birthday!!!!!

Snej said...

Happy Birthday Dad!!! It's been great to see you more often this year and you're sure a favourite of Little jo as well. Some of the stuff mom wrote reminded me that we're still the proud owners of those Walgreens sweatshirts you got Char and me a few years ago - another great thrift store buy.

Eileen Young said...

Don't overlook his mother-in-law who thinks he's great & is a literary giant - those blogs attest to that fact.
Happy Birthday OJ.
Please check your e-mail for further comments.
Love
Mom & Dad Young

woozie said...

Happy Birthday Dad!!! you really are the best Dad anyone could ask for. Love you lots, and I'm so glad I can be here for your birthday!
Xoxo

LiNds said...

Happy Birthday Dad! I think you're wonderful, and could go on and on. It's pretty awesome that we have a Dad who is not only hilarious, incredibly supportive (you're always there when I need you,) smart, and spiritual, but you also have the down to earth quality that must have come from growing up on the prairie's of Southern Alberta or something....? You have a depth of thought and feelings and articulate them like Gran mentioned with your words and in writing. It's always cool when we read scriptures together because you have such great insights. I love you! Have a fabulous day!

Rico said...

Happy birthday dad. I think this is the first year I have seen you not immediately give a birthday present back to the giver. That's another thing about you is you are always willing to share.

Rico

mrpuente said...

Happy Birthday OJ! I have always been a big fan of yours. Thanks for setting a good example of what a husband, father and grandfather should be.

Grampa said...

Thanks for all the great birthday greetings. It's been a lot of fun reading them the past couple days.
I'm very blessed to have such a wonderful family.
Love to all, Gramps

2x2momma said...

Hey Dad- I know I'm a little late, but I want you to know that you are an amazing dad and we all love you so much!! Happy Belated!!xox