Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Tax Season

While working as an accountant thus far it's almost virtually impossible to avoid the dreaded tax "busy season." In the UK it always occurred right before Christmas which wasn't the greatest time of year to be working until late at night and through some weekends. At least though you knew that you'd come to "the wall", even if right on Christmas eve, where we knew that the work would either already be done or else there wouldn't be enough time to finish before the New Year and you could swan off for the holidays and quickly transition to a long holiday break.

My first busy season in Canada has seemed more like a UK busy season that was on crack cocaine - way more intense and way more out of control! I think it has a lot to do with the shorter timeframe to meet deadlines here in comparison. Also possibly has something to do with a stronger N American work ethic compared with Europeans. But I'm glad to say that the worst of the season is almost over and there is finally light at the end of the tunnel ... at least for another year!

3 comments:

Coleen said...

I guess April 16 is the big vacation day for accountants in the US. We've heard that most of them take the day off and celebrate. What about in Canada? Tax deadline is only two days away. Hope you have big plans!

Grampa said...

Taxes are stressful for everyone. Glad to see you are holding up so well.

Eileen Young said...

Thanx for editing my tax returns & helping me with all this new fan-dangled technology I have around my house. I am bound to become proficient especially when i can count on you. And the bonus to have little Oliver accompany you.
Grannie