Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Gotta have it

In line with the ice cream portions at Coldstones, my order is to teach with the 'Gotta have it' portion.

Tonight I finished my last class to earn my teaching credential. I felt like I was walking on a cloud as I left that room and walked down the tree lined halls of LMU. (Yes, our halls are lined with trees and the roof top is rigged with a solar energy system. We're green.) It felt SO good to finish up a huge undertaking, and complete something as massive as getting a teaching credential here in Cali. (The Master's part will be finished up June 25.)

Why am I getting a basic Elementary Education teaching credential when I have a music background? People ask me that sometimes. My answer? I like teaching kids, I love teaching kids. Yes, I have taught music in school settings... loved that. But when it comes to straight up teaching, not teaching weekly music classes, I gotta have it. I gotta have my own class that I work with daily, not someone else's that comes in once a week. I gotta build the knowledge of each of my students in many subjects. I gotta build relationships with them, get to know more than just their name, see their progress in reading and math. I just Gotta have it. That's my pref.

3 comments:

Grampa said...

Great work, Linds. You'll be a great teacher. I wish I'd had teachers like you when I was just a young'un.

Coleen said...

I'm glad that's what you want Linds. All your future students are glad too!

Eileen Young said...

Glad to have grandchildren follow Grannie's footsteps. You'll be an asset. Wish I can come to visit your classroom.Congratulations.
Love
Grannie