Friday, May 28, 2010

I HATE MORNINGS.


I really do. If you've ever seen me chipper in the morning it can be probably be explained by one of the following:

1) I was on holiday and I'm always happy on holiday

2) I was faking it.

I especially hate THIS morning because Jordan and I were up until 12:30 last night visiting with friends and then up this morning at 6:00 with Oliver and Ben. And because I don't want to deal with the reality of the tired day that lay before me, I've been perusing Mary Oliver's poetry to find a little sunshine to propel me into the pleasant mother my children need me to be today. I think I suceeded in finding a little bit of sunshine and thought I would share it with the rest of you.


Why I Wake Early - Mary Oliver
Hello, sun in my face.
Hello, you who made the morning
and spread it over the fields
and into the faces of the tulips
and the nodding morning glories,
and into the windows of, even, the
miserable and the crotchety –
best preacher that ever was,
dear star, that just happens
to be where you are in the universe
to keep us from ever-darkness,
to ease us with warm touching,
to hold us in the great hands of light –
good morning, good morning, good morning.
Watch, now, how I start the day
in happiness, in kindness.

2 comments:

Coleen said...

Love the poem and love the name of the poet -
two family names rolled into one....

2x2momma said...

What a great poem and a great photo. You always find the best photos for your posts.