Thursday, February 10, 2011

Char vs The Ocean



I recently remembered quite vividly a day at Balmedie Beach (just North of Aberdeen) - a day I danced with death. It was a cool day, hardly anyone was on the beach except some windsurfers a ways from where Jordan and I were. I decided I wanted to go for a swim. While Jordan played with Oliver on the beach, I played in the huge waves that were crashing the shore - big swells, I was delighted at how high the waves pushed me, and enjoyed letting them push and pull me - I thought the ocean was just having a bit of fun with me...until I suddenly realized that I had drifted quite a ways from the shore. I could barely see Jordan. A little bit of nervous shot through me and I quickly started to swim towards the shore. A little bit of terror shot through me when I realized that although the waves were throwing me forwards on their way to the shore, there was a stong current pulling me back, further away every time they passed over me. I was being slowly being pulled out into the ocean. Panicked, I fought against the waves and swam forwards with everything I had in me but I could tell that I wasn't strong enough - I wasn't getting closer to the shore. So this is what I did - I let a wave throw me forward and then I sunk under the water and shoved my feet into the sand to anchor myself against the undertow. When I felt the undertow pass I shot myself up and let the next wave throw me forward again. Bit by bit I struggled my way forward until I finally reached the shore.

3 comments:

Coleen said...

Woooohh Char! I can see why It's only now that you can share this with people. Did you feel so amazingly proud of yourself when it was over or did you just feel terrified??

C.J. Schneider said...

I was terrified but also hugely relieved. When I came out of the water and went to Jordan, I remember he said that he wasn't really watching me and had no idea what was going on out there!

Grampa said...

I can't imagine how scary that must have been. Very impressive that you were able to think clearly enough in such stress to realize what you had to do to overcome the undertow. Nice work, Char.