Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Starter


For quite a while now I have been delaying a repair on my car- it has needed a new starter. As the family can attest when they borrowed it over the holidays, it can be temperamental and at times it just makes a hollow 'click' sound when you turn the ignition. It has been known to take up to 10 minutes to finally start. That said, I have miraculously not really been late or missed work or anything because of it. Maybe that's why I procrastinated buying a new starter. Spence and I are also looking at getting a new car altogether so I wondered if it would work out to just not do the repair, but trade in the car instead. I know that California weather is kinder to cars and this one has lasted a LOOONG time considering, but I guess I like to push my luck. I have even loaned it to friends when their cars were even mmore broken down than mine, and taken this treasure of a '99 dark gold toyota chevy on a few road trips. (I know, it's funny that it's two makes- it's a toyota from the front and chevy from the back. I guess at one point they were merged.)

Well yesterday it finally gave out. The real hint was that it was smoking from the engine the last time I drove it. When I tried to start it a couple times after, it made this really low gurgly clattering noise and would not start. But here's where the cool part comes. Right next to us there's a car dealerships and one of the mechanics just happened to be walking by. When he saw me looking under the hood and noticing more smoke, he said, 'hey lady, do you need some help?' Often if someone asks if I need help I'll be like, 'no, I got it, thanks,' but this time it was a GIVEN that yes I did need some help, I appreciated him asking. He got his buddy and within a few hours they had the thing fixed up and working great! For a great price! Spence and I picked it back up and it runs like a charm! Blessin'! Thanks!

1 comment:

mrpuente said...

Lindsay, you've been driving one of my clan's specials. Almost all of the cars my family owns have funny little quirks like being a Toyota from the front, but a Chevy from the back. I'm just glad its held up as long as it has!