Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Brick Oven


Melissa got me a really cool cookbook for Christmas. Its called JAMIE AT HOME by Jamie Oliver. The portion I've become infatuated with is the pizza section. Jamie had a brick oven built in his backyard (I've included a photo for reference) and he raves about the difference its made in his pizzas. While he claims you can get "similar" (read, not as good) results, I just can't get the brick oven out of my head. The book's influence has seeped into our ramped up attempts to purchase a house here in Los Angeles. So I'm now officially OBSESSED with the idea of building one in our new backyard. Just hope the backyard ends up being big enough!

5 comments:

Eileen Young said...

Dear MrPuente-
"What goes around, comes around" Those brick ovens you talk about are not new to me - my mother had one in her backyard - ALL Ukrainians did. That's how they baked all their delicious breads, etc. Know that your sons are 1/8 Ukrainian. By all means. build them this 'peech' - that's what they were called and they were made out of clay!
Good luck, but buy a house with a b-i-g yard first.
Love,
Grannie

LiNds said...

Mmmm... I think brick oven baked pizzas sound delicious!!!!! I would come eat one!

2x2momma said...

I can't wait for a peech.

Emily said...

Check out a site called Fornobravo.com. All your dreams of brick ovens will come true! Seriously!

Nohemi said...

After I watched a pizza episode on Jamie Olivers’ 30 Minute Meals, I got inspired to have a brick oven at home and create my own delicious pizza. :’) My husband and my two boys made it for me last year, so now, there's always pizza on our table!

Nohemi Tutterrow