Monday, January 18, 2010

Sweatin' with the Oldies


I went to an aquacise class this morning and I really loved it. The class was pretty much a bunch of elderly women and myself. I was reminded this morning how much I enjoy old women. I love them. I love how they all made me feel like I was Jane Fonda with comments like: "My, your legs are strong." "Isn't she jumping out of the water high." "I could tell you were working really hard." It was also pretty fun having old lady chat in the hot tub afterwards. Old women are just so pleasant. You don't have to worry about saying anything clever, current or wildly interesting because some of them can't hear that well anyways and most of them just seem very content to appreciate the small and simple things in life with you. Sister Hinckley once said "At fifty I stopped competing and started living." Years ago I used to go lane swimming quite regularly and my lane swim was always at the same time as an aquacise class. Same demographic - elderly women. During one class I overheard one of the women announcing that she had brought pie to eat afterwards. Isn't that so funny!!! Who eats pie right after an exercise class?? I'm looking forward to the next session.

5 comments:

LiNds said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! Yes, I agree that at a certain age it seems certain people I admire just enjoy life and living. That's so awesome. I want to be like that!

2x2momma said...

All I can think is how wonderful it must be to be able to do aquatic classes (I'm guessing you used to swim lanes pre-kids as well??) You must be enjoying being with your mom and getting in all that childcare help ;) I know when we were with the Hulewskys for 2 weeks over Christmas we both got in a lot of exercising that's hard to do during our regular life. What a wonderful opportunity
;)

2x2momma said...

All I can think is how wonderful it must be to be able to do aquatic classes (I'm guessing you used to swim lanes pre-kids as well??) You must be enjoying being with your mom and getting in all that childcare help ;) I know when we were with the Hulewskys for 2 weeks over Christmas we both got in a lot of exercising that's hard to do during our regular life. What a wonderful opportunity
;)

Coleen said...

This makes me want to sign up for the very next class. It would be a perfect fit - I'm old and I like pie...

LiNds said...

hahah!!