Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Yorkshire Pudding

FACTS:
-Yorkshire pudding emerged in Northern England
-The recipe for Yorkshire pudding was first published in the book 'The Whole Duty of a Woman,' in 1737
-my friend who served in England says people always complain that it never turns out the same way twice
-it's really great with gravy
- I made it this Sunday for our 'thanks for helping us move' dinner party
-The recipe is : 4 beaten eggs, 2 cups milk, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 cups flour, mix it up and then add it to smoking hot lard or drippings measuring one teaspoon in each muffin tin section. Cook at 450 for 20 minutes. It gets so big and puffy
-Mom used to make it every Sunday for dinner along with her delicious roast
-I think we should add it to 'The Schneider's Bestest Recipes'
-opinions?

5 comments:

Bonnie White said...

I never grew up with these delicious morsels and it wasn't until my mission that I discovered what I had been missing. Have ventured a try for my family but will now. Thanks for the recipe.

Coleen said...

LInds - I have to know if that's a photo of YOUR yorkshire Puddings!?? If not- it sounds like they looked just like that!? Way to go!!

Eileen Young said...

Lindsay -
I'll tell you that bacon drippings/lard are 'more sure' than drippings from the US roast. When my mother-in-law visited us in North Dakota I wanted to impress her with my yorkshire puddings (she had written me & told me how to make them) In the meantime I had read a magazine explaining how to get the best-flavored yorkshires - using the drippings from the roast. So I tried their method. What a flop!! I was so embarrassed! But she knew exactly the problem. She said that the beef (at least in that part of the country) was corn fed - and the drippings contain a high percentage of water. I have always used bacon drippings or lard since. I think Emily uses oil - is that right?
The picture looks great -are they the result of your very own culinary skills?
Love
Grannie

LiNds said...

No, the picture is not in fact of my own yorkshire, they were gone while they were hot! I will try to have my camera nearby next time I create a culinary piece though!

2x2momma said...

I was craving these tonight- now I have the recipe!