Friday, June 25, 2010

My Pizza World Turned Upside Down!!!

Melissa did a great post about our terrific New York anniversary weekend. If you haven't already, check it out at It was such a treat to get back to the city. Haven't been there since graduation in 2003.

However my fond memories of the best pizza in New York were deeply challenged. We stayed in SOHO, an area I'm not very familiar with and we made our regular trek across the Brooklyn bridge to Grimaldi's, which has always ranked as one of my favorite food places in the world. We thoroughly enjoyed our pizza (I'm including a sample pic of the pies)



But that same evening we were looking for a place near the hotel to grab a bite and I found another, new pizza placed call Keste. The reviews were uniformly glowing and claimed that it was the best pizza in town. So we made the short walk over and were totally blown away.

Don't get me wrong, Grimaldi's is amazing pizza and the sauce and the toppings at Keste weren't notably superior, but the crust was unbelievable. Light and chewy, but with a great crispness. Just absolutely melted in my mouth. As we left the restaurant I felt a little disoriented and uneasy. I struggled to rationalize that Grimaldis was still superior, but after a while I stopped trying. Keste was my new, best New York pizza.



I wonder if my pizza experience isn't similar to other facets of our lives. I know I've been guilty before of grasping to the good and familiar things in my life even when presented with something better. I hope, in the future, I can be more open and willing to embrace change if it gets me closer to the person I want and need to be. Funny how even pizza can teach you a thing or two.

1 comment:

Coleen said...

Pizza and philosophy is truly a fresh and creative combo. I'll remember this one - Thanks Ian!