Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Greatest Generation



Broadcast journalist Tom Brokaw wrote in his book The Greatest Generation, 'It is, I believe, the greatest generation any society has ever produced." He argued that these men and women fought not for fame and recognition, but because it was the right thing to do. When they came back they rebuilt America into a superpower. (that's from Wikipedia)
The Greatest Generation is the name of an exhibit Dad and I saw on the waterfront in San Diego last week. The first photo shows a statue of Bob Hope - life size - and what you don't see or hear is about a dozen statues of soldiers 'listening' to taped performances of some of the jokes he told when he traveled throughout the world to visit soldiers on the battle front. The second picture is one you probably recognize as a depiction of the famous photo taken in Times Square at the end of WW II. It's about three stories high and is very impressive.
With Veterans Day and Remembrance Day coming up, Dad and I thought the exhibit was a timely reminder of the sacrifices made by our parents' generation so that all of us can enjoy the freedoms we often take for granted.
We loved the exhibit and we loved San Diego.

2 comments:

C.J. Schneider said...

I was thinking about your post yesterday as I was mall walking through west ed. "the greatest generation...fought not for fame and recognition, but because it was the right thing to do." How facinating. I was walking past all the shops and thinking about my generation and what really motivates my generation? Pretty big GAP.

Spence said...

I assume you mean gap as "giant space" and not the store. Though either interpretation would be valid.