Saturday, October 23, 2010

trip down memory lane


This past week I've been studying for an exam and have been using the Belgravia house as a main place for study. Until this week it's been a very long time since I've spent any considerable length of time in the old neighbourhood but this week has allowed me a couple of chances to roam the old streets a bit and take a couple trips down memory lane during study breaks. It was very interesting to walk down 116 st and 77 ave again. It was kind of like going back in a timewarp noticing some things that hadn't changed -Dutchak's house, the Hoyles' house, Mrs Moore's house and the Unger's house for example all haven't seemed to change one bit since we left. In the Unger's driveway there was even a hockey net taped to the outside of their garage door and I also noticed a play structure at our old house kind of similar to the one we had in our old backyard. But then again it wasn't the same street either - a few houses have changed significantly or had complete makeovers like the Laws' house (i think), ie the one at the end of the block and the house two doors down from us, aka Mr Fatty's house along with a few others. But despite the change it was interesting to explore the old neighbourhood and doing so brought back a few good memories. Ultimately it make me realize (esp since Char and I have been looking a bit at different neighbourhoods in Edmonton to move to) that Mom and Dad sure picked a good neighbourhood and street for us to live on for all those years.


3 comments:

Coleen said...

Yeh, even last month when I had to wait 8 MINUTES during rush hour to cross the LRT tracks into Belgravia I thought, "I love this neighborhood".
Did you get a chance to try out the new neighborhood restaurant yet?

Coleen said...

And - good luck on your exam tomorrow!!

2x2momma said...

What a sweet post. I do have fond memories of delivering all those papers along that street...