Sunday, October 17, 2010

Rescue of the 33 miners


So I am sure most of you know that 33 miners were rescued from a mine in San José, Chile located in the northern part of the country. They had been trapped in the mine for 69 days until they finally came out. They had been found from rescue probes after they had been down there for 17 days and were down to essentially their last rations. All of them thought they were going to die. They come from all walks of life, I think all but 3 of them are Chilean and are 19 to 64 years in age (I think). They said the rescued operation cost at least 22 million dollars which is definitely a good investment in my opinion. Anyway, I found it to be a very touching story and it made me proud that I could serve in the great country of Chile. It was also nice to see a story that brings hope and good news be the dominating story for a time in a time when bad news tends to be the main subject.



8 comments:

Katey said...

Frankly, I loved this news story. I got teary eyed just looking at the pictures in my paper. Did you see the qoute from one of them that went "I have been with God and with the devil. God won."

Eileen Young said...

Thanks, David, for your inspiring blog. I appreciate your comments very much. To think this rescue could take place and all brought from the dark abyss to the marvelous light! We can liken this to our faith in our Savior who likewise can alter our lives if we but follow Him.
Love you
Grannie

LiNds said...

I got teary hearing the news back when they were still stuck down there but the rescuers were able to form connections for the miners to talk with their families!

Grampa said...

Very inspiring story and blog. It's great that all of the news is not bad.

Spence said...

I've been following it closely myself, and for my Chilean friends it was almost an obsession. Great that everyone got out just fine!

Unknown said...

A happy ending; thanks for reporting David. It's important not to lose sight of another important lesson here: the whole fiasco could have been avoided if instead of cutting a few corners to save a few bucks the mine management had had enough integrity to follow proper safety regulations.

LiNds said...

Wait... Spence and Spencer...?

LiNds said...

Ah, ok I think I have it straight.