Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Paul the Octopus


So recently a terrible event happened. Paul the Octopus died! For those who don't know, Paul the Octopus terrorized bookies. He was 8 for 8 in terms of predicting who would win World Cup matches. According to the Globe and Mail, the odds of doing what Paul the Octopus did are 300 to 1. If you started with $20 and correctly followed all of his predictions (as some people did) you would've won about $4,500. He correctly predicted Spain to win and that Germany would win five and lose two games.

His handlers would give him two mussel-filled boxes with the flag of a different country on each and the box he picked would be the winner. I find the story fascinating not only because of the 300 to 1 odds of doing what Paul the Octopus did but how people discovered his special powers. I mean who would think to put a flag on Paul's feeding box and then see if he was successful in predicting the winner?

3 comments:

Rico said...

I also found it interesting that people tried to discredit Paul's guessing skills by saying that octopuses are attracted to certain colors. Not to be sac religious, but one can draw a lot of parallels between Paul the Octopus and a prophet.

C.J. Schneider said...

I saw an Octopus in Seattle and I swear there was a definate psychic connection between him and I.

Snej said...

I remember reading how Paul picked Germany to lose against Spain and how millions of Germans thought the team was doomed before the match - I guess by that point he had already built up a big reputation. I thought what a load of rubbish but was very surprised to find out that he was right.