Friday, October 22, 2010

As my Dad always said "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"



There is a woman in my Mom's ward who lives outside of town in a little and very cluttered house. The woman's husband likes to collect things - junk - and the house is overflowing with it. This alone pulls at my Mom's heart strings because living in a house of such disorder is my Mom's idea of a fully tortured existence. Recently, the woman had to undergo foot surgery leaving her with limited mobility in this rather isolated home. As my Mom felt one would need the agility of an Olympic athlete in order to maneuver around this junk laden home she felt compelled to help out. She decided a cozy shepherd's pie was in order. She made a large batch for the woman and delivered it that day. She kept a small portion for her and Dad to eat for supper. That night after supper, Dad started making quick trips to the bathroom - the diarrhoea was unpleasant to say the least. As my Mother also had to make frequent trips to the toilet, my Mom suddenly felt horrified at the thought that she had sent this diarrhoea causing meal for a woman who would have EXTREME difficulties in running to the toilet with her limited mobility due to her surgery and the state of her home. My Mom was so upset saying to me today "What if this lady just ended up 'having an accident' in her pants because she just couldn't get to the toilet in time? How would she properly clean up the mess in her condition?" So not only does she have to struggle to move around, now thanks to my mom, it sounds like she's going to keep fairly busy with her new bathroom requirements.
What a shame. But mostly I kind of thought this was pretty funny.

3 comments:

Coleen said...

I love how Linds's and your blogs on kind and thoughtful deeds are right next to each other. Maybe we'll get to hear the end of the story some day!? And - Maybe the collector lady couldn't remember where she put the shepherd's pie after your Mom dropped it off? That just might have turned out to be a good thing...

mrpuente said...

This is a great post. There is danger in moving outside of our comfort zone. I've stepped in it more times than I can count when trying to help. That said, the great experiences that come from it more than make up for the occasional fumbles.

2x2momma said...

That is hilarious.